Wayne County School System pays certified employees according to the most current state pay scale. In addition to the state salary, all certified employees receive a $1,500 supplement. Some employees receive an additional supplement for duties carried out beyond the normal school day. Current pay scales are attached at the bottom of this page.
Employees are encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit of their pay checks. Employees who use Direct Deposit will receive an email report of their pay and deductions each pay period.
For employees who do not use Direct Deposit, paychecks are distributed by the principal at each school during the regular school year. In the summer (June and July), paychecks can be picked up by the employee at the Board of Education from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Any paychecks not picked up will be sent to the employee's school when school resumes. Substitute pay checks may be picked up at the Board of Education between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on the pay date.
Main Monthly Payroll (for everyone not paid under a separate payroll)--Last day of the month unless that day occurs on a holiday or weekend. In the case of a holiday or weekend, the paychecks go out on the last working day before the last day of the month.
Substitute Payroll--Paid on the 20th of each month unless that day occurs on a holiday or weekend. In the case of a holiday or weekend, the paychecks will go out the last working day before the 20th.
Semi-Monthly Payroll for Maintenance, Custodians, School Food Service (Lunchroom) Employees--Paid on the 15th of the month and on the last day of the month.
Abbreviations on Your Paycheck:
- CURRENT--Totals for this pay period
- YEAR TO DATE--Total pay to date according to the calendar year (January 1 to present). This amount does not represent your current contract salary because part of it is always from the previous contract year unless you are a new employee.
- Columns 1 through 4:
- State Sa--Your salary from the state pay scale
- Regular--Your salary from the classified or craft pay scale
- Local Su--Your local supplement
- SUPP--Any additional pay other than your regular salary and supplement
- Imputed Income--This amount will only be shown on your paycheck if you have over $50,000 in life insurance through the Flexible Benefits Plan. It is calculated by the Flexible Benefits Plan. It appears as income on your W2.
- The first column will also show your deductions from your gross amount of pay; the net pay will equal the amount of your pay check.
- FICA--Social Security
- Federal--Federal income tax deduction
- State--State income tax deduction
- Total Ded--The additional amount from column 6 to be deducted from your pay.
- Columns 5 through 7: List of any other deductions
- GHI Certified--State health insurance for certified employees
- GHI Non Cert.--State health insurance for non-certified employees
- Educ. Sys. Ins.--A life insurance plan offered through the Wayne County School System; is not a part of the state Flexible Benefits Plan
- Annuity #1 or #2--Any elective annuity that is deducted from your paycheck. Examples are Valic, American Fidelity, New York Life, Professional, Franklin Life, Lincoln National, Putnam Investments, Met Life.
- TRS--Teacher Retirement System
- PSERS--Public School Employees Retirement System
- Permanent Life--A life insurance plan through Central United Life; is not a part of the Flexible Benefits Plan
- Colonial Can.--Cancer insurance, whole life insurance and accident; is not a part of the Flexible Benefits Plan
- Central United-Cancer insurance
- 3B-Pre Tax--Flexible Benefits Plan deductions for term life, accidental death, long term care, disability, vision, and dental insurance
- 3C-After Tax--Flexible Benefits Plan deductions for dependent life (spouse or child), short term disability, and legal insurance
- 3D-After Tax--Flexible Benefits Plan Medical Spending Account
- 3E-After Tax--Flexible Benefits Plan Child/Dependent Care Account
- AFLAC--Specified event, hospital indemnity, and accident
- Columns 8 and 9 show your totals of sick leave, sick leave bank, and vacation as described on the Sick Leave page.
For more payroll information, contact Sharon Bartlett by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 912-427-1000, Ext. 230.
For Flexible Benefits Plan or insurance information, contact Wanda Barron by email at email@example.com or at 912-427-1000, ext. 228.
- CURRENT--Totals for this pay period