Welcome to the Wayne County SACS general information site. This site provides information regarding the district accreditation protocol. Currently, the Wayne County School District and each of its schools are fully accredited. This means that annually, every public school in Wayne County meets or exceeds the accreditation standards that support student achievement.
What Is Accreditation?
Accreditation is a voluntary method of quality assurance developed more than 100 years ago by American universities and secondary schools, and designed primarily to distinguish schools adhering to a set of educational standards. The accreditation process is also known in terms of its ability to effectively drive student performance and continuous improvement in education. But such definitions, though accurate, are incomplete.
While accreditation is a set of rigorous protocols and research-based processes for evaluating an institution's organizational effectiveness, it is far more than that. Today accreditation examines the whole institution-the programs, the cultural context, the community of stakeholders-to determine how well the parts work together to meet the needs of students.
For many, accreditation is both a significant achievement pronouncing an institution's quality of education, as well as a remarkably enriching process for the institutions recognizing the tremendous competitive and performance gains it affords. Sadly, some schools approach accreditation as a necessary imposition that they must endure to secure the seal of accreditation, and the quicker they satisfy the requirements, the sooner they can return their attention to running their institutions. But it is those schools and school systems that see the untapped transformative power in the process of accreditation that are able to build true capacity to improve student learning and make continuous school improvement a distinctive reality.
It is the process of accreditation that yields the greatest continuing return for institutions. When approached properly, the internal self-assessment an institution conducts against a set of research-based quality standards can produce a wealth of galvanizing insights. Honest self-evaluation is unparalleled in its ability to uncover and bring into sharp focus special challenges for an institution that may not have been fully understood. The external review is the hallmark of the accreditation process, and like the internal self-assessment, it energizes and equips the leadership and stakeholders of an institution or school system to tackle those areas that may be thwarting desired performance levels.
Accreditation is a force-multiplier. The process is a catalyst for transformative excellence, and AdvancED's accreditation process is designed on a standards-based framework to feed continuous improvement and transform education on a global scale. Education providers of all types around the world use AdvancED Accreditation.
Why Does Accreditation Matter?
Accreditation is designed to help educational institutions boost their ongoing performance efforts for the benefit of their students. AdvancED insists on a relentless pursuit of excellence-for itself and for the institutions it accredits. This ethic of excellence ensures that institutions will find rich benefits from accreditation and that parents can confidently make informed decisions about their children's education, knowing their child's school is accredited. Accreditation matters because our students deserve the highest level of educational excellence possible.
Educational Institutions that engage in AdvancED Accreditation will:
- Unite with a global network committed to standards of educational excellence.
- Earn the distinction of quality through the recognized seal of AdvancED accreditation.
- Experience a unified, clear, and powerful accreditation process with a scalable and sustainable evaluation of education quality.
- Receive external and objective validation of the areas in which they're doing well, and the areas for continuous improvement.
- Benefit from AdvancED research that shapes educational policy and improves learning practices.
- Experience a state-of-the-art web-based accreditation system that is continuously being upgraded and improved.
- Hear the best available ideas and thinking on education practices and trends through innovative products, educational technologies, and the collective knowledge of peers.
- Benefit from shared expertise and powerful professional learning through local and global workshops, training, conferences, and personalized service.
Students and their parents will:
- Experience ease in transferring credits from one school to another.
- Gain greater access to federal loans scholarships, postsecondary education and military programs that require students attend an accredited institution.
- Benefit from their institution or educational system's commitment to raising student performance and accountability.
How Do We Accredit?
At AdvancED we believe system accreditation is like a huge fulcrum that can leverage improvement across an entire system. There is no question that the school and the classroom are at the heart of teaching and learning. System accreditation, however, has the power to nurture and support individual school improvement, and the same time unify school improvement and align it with overall system improvement goals so that the system's schools are moving in one direction together, on the same page.
System leaders engaged in AdvancED System Accreditation will:
- Take stock of themselves in relation to a set of research based quality standards
- Establish a vision, assess their current reality, implement and improvement plan, monitor progress and evaluate results
- Enhance best thinking with the insights and perspectives of an external review team.
AdvancED provides an effective engine for systematizing and maximizing district improvement efforts. System accreditation recognizes that increasing student achievement involves more than improving instruction. It is a result of how well all the parts of the education system-the district, school, and classroom-work together to meet the needs of students.
AdvancED Standards for Quality School Systems
Standard 1: Purpose and Direction
The system maintains and communicates at all levels of the organization a purpose and direction for continuous improvement that commit to high expectations for learning as well as shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning.
Standard 2: Governance and Leadership
The system operates under governance and leadership that promote and support student performance and school effectiveness.
Standard 3: Teaching and Assessing for Learning
The system's curriculum, instructional design, and assessment practices guide and ensure teacher effectiveness and student learning across all grades and courses.
Standard 4: Resources and Support Systems
The system has resources and provides services in all schools that support its purpose and direction to ensure success for all students.
Standard 5: Using Results for Continuous Improvement
The system implements a comprehensive assessment system that generates a range of data about student learning and system effectiveness and uses the results to guide continuous improvement.